Why choose Seaspan?
Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards has been selected under the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy (NSPS) to be Canada’s long-term partner for the building of Non-Combat vessels. This multi-billion dollar program will create stable work over the next decade and beyond, and see the construction of up to 17 ships to start (three Offshore Fisheries Science Vessels, one Offshore Oceanographic Science Vessel, one Polar Icebreaker, two Joint Support Ships, five Medium Endurance Multi-Tasked Vessels and five Offshore Patrol Vessels).
Seaspan is investing $200 million into its shipyard facilities to support this. Construction began in October 2012 and will result in the completion of four new fabrication buildings, a 300-ton shipbuilding gantry crane and load-out pier by late 2014.
Your future career opportunity
As one of our Planners you will be responsible for developing detailed plans, schedules and work packages, for production trades. The role requires the development, scheduling and budgeting of work packages that integrate material and labour resources in support of program milestones and financial goals.
You will have significant dealings with production engineering, production control and out program office to accurately reflect the established build strategy in all schedules and work packages. Significant communication with trade personnel is also required to ensure production methods and processes are accurately incorporated into work packages. In depth technical knowledge to communicate and influence relative to the build strategy is ongoing.
To be successful in this role
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering is preferred. Trades Certificate combined with sufficient employment experience may be considered.
- 5 years experience in planning and/or production control at a large manufacturing firm, preferably in the shipbuilding industry.
- Certification by an accredited society in Planning, Production Control and/or Project Management is highly desirable.
- Extensive knowledge of shipbuilding operations with a detailed understanding of the relationship between procurement, design, production and test operations.
- Proficiency working with independent planning systems including Primavera P6 (preferred) and Microsoft Project.
- Highly versed working with CAD software suite including ShipConstructor (preferred) and AutoCAD.
- Experience using an ERP system in a large manufacturing environment is required along with knowledge of EVMS principles and their application in monitoring, reporting and controlling work activities.
- Strong problem solving skills, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills will enable you to perform effectively in this position.
On offer to you
The opportunity to make your mark is at Seaspan – both in career advancement and in building a legacy of ships for the Canadian Navy and Coast Guard. Seaspan is a progressive employer with a collaborative culture that supports health, safety and diversity.
Seaspan offers an attractive remuneration package with pension contributions, medical and dental benefits and a fitness membership for all permanent employees. For overseas candidates, we offer a generous relocation package to ensure a smooth transition for you and your family to Vancouver.. Seaspan will also support and fund, work permit or permanent residency applications.