The Submarine Zone Production Manager is responsible for ensuring that the production work assigned to their zone is completed on time and as per customer requirements. The Zone Production Manager possesses a specialization in one of the following trades; electrical, welding, pipefitting, mechanical, ship fitting or sheet metal and works closely with the Submarine Senior Production Manager in the management of the project and liaises closely with their Babcock Canada Incorporated Zone Leader. This role encompasses a wide level of responsibility, dependent on the incumbent’s experience, training and skills.
The Submarine Zone Production Manager reports directly to the Submarine Senior Production Manager. The Zone Production Manager supervises a minimum of 25 unionized employees.
- Reports to the Submarine Senior Production Manager concerning project progress and/or problems.
- Oversees performance of all trades involved in their zone and ensures safety concerns are addressed. This includes scheduling of hours, assigning duties and ensuring work flow is maintained.
- Monitors the progress of their work and tracks associated man-hours and costs.
- Liaises with Babcock Canada Incorporated representatives throughout the project.
- Coordinates and supervises inspections by regulatory bodies (Department of Defence Quality Assurance personnel, Department of Defence Delegated Engineering Authority personnel, Babcock Canada Incorporated Design Agents, etc.).
- Ensures production work is completed on time, on budget, and to the customer’s complete satisfaction.
- Supervises the work of sub-contractors
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 education plus a Technical Diploma and/or the completion of a trade apprenticeship program in the electrical, welding, pipefitting, mechanical, ship fitting or the sheet metal trades.
- 5-7 years experience in managing ship repair and construction projects in a supervisory role.
- Project management experience
Skills and Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge of applicable rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of relevant corporate policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of English language, verbal and written.
- Demonstrating a high standard of business conduct and ethics; dealing with all situations and issues with integrity and honesty.
- Taking initiative in understanding the needs of others (internal and external “customers”) and taking action to achieve appropriate results.
- Working with and coordinating the activities of people; with attention and energy focused on coordinating various activities to meet schedules and complete projects within allotted budget.
- Working with and coordinating the activities of people over whom the incumbent may have no direct authority; attention and energy are focused on bringing various activities together to achieve set objectives.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.