The Erection & Traffic Manager manages the handling and movement of all New Construction and Repair vessels, blocks, and grand blocks in the shipyard. The position manages all docking operations on the Syncrolift, and supports the Vancouver Drydock Dockmaster on new construction launches. The Erection & Traffic Manager manages the erection of hull blocks and grand blocks in the Pre-erection and Erection areas. The position is also responsible for all block and vessel movements by Self-Propelled Modular Transporters (SPMTs), and other rolling stock operated by Production. The Erection & Traffic Manager is responsible for monitoring and reporting Erection & Traffic status and performance to the Director, Manufacturing. The position also requires analysis, improvement and implementation of improved erection and traffic work processes. The Erection & Traffic Manager reports to the Director, Manufacturing. The Dockmaster and Trade Supervisors support the position.
- Leads, manages, and controls all block, grand block and vessel handling and movement in the shipyard. Supervises assigned charge hands responsible for execution of all movement and erection activities.
- Manages all Syncrolift docking and launching evolutions. Positions vessels within shipyard for Repair operations. Supports the Vancouver Drydock Dockmaster for new construction launches.
- Manages all block, grand block and heavy equipment movements within the shipyard utilizing SPMTs or other rolling stock operated by Production.
- Oversees the erection of all hull blocks and grand blocks at the Pre-Erection and Erection areas.
- Manages the development of engineered lifting plans to ensure padeyes, welds, slings, shackles, spreader beams and hull structure are properly sized for safe lifting practices.
- Develops daily block and vessel movement schedules.
- Coordinates the movement and handling of team member and subcontractor material that is not covered by respective contracts.
- Manages program schedules on a daily basis to ensure movements and erections support timely work package starts.
- Manages and controls Erection & Traffic Department budgets.
- Utilizing a behavioural based safety approach, champions’ safety in the Erection & Traffic Department.
- Provides input to Engineering and Production Engineering to ensure preferred construction methods and procedures are incorporated into designs.
- Works with the owner, regulatory body and statutory agencies to resolve issues that arise during the inspection process.
- Assists in the bid review process with Estimating to confirm rates and capabilities for performing future work.
- Resolves material shortages and discrepancies with Supply Chain Department personnel.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a High school diploma and relative Trade Certification required.
- 10 years rigging/transportation experience in a large manufacturing environment, preferably in the shipbuilding or heavy steel fabrication industries.
- 5 years direct line management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or business desirable.
- Experience managing a large multi-discipline project driven workforce.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to lead a production department in the execution and construction of a complex manufacturing product.
- Detailed knowledge of vessel docking and launching procedures including an understanding of vessel centers of gravity, centers of buoyancy, and metacentric height.
- Competency in management of transporter type equipment (SPMTs) for movement of large structural components.
- Competency in rigging procedures with an in-depth knowledge of rigging gear. Ability to specify items such as shackles, slings, padeyes, and spreader beams for procurement.
- Familiarity with engineered lifts and turnovers using large gantry type cranes.
- General knowledge of shipbuilding construction methods and procedures.
- Familiarity with regulatory body rules for docking and undocking of vessels.
- Strong technical capability to read and interpret complex specifications and detailed engineering drawings.
- Proficiency working with detailed safety, quality, cost and schedule reports.
- Knowledge of EVMS principles and their application in monitoring, reporting and controlling work activities.
- Strong problem solving skills, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Good judgment and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work with limited direction and to function as a key team member.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.