The Director, Business Development develops solid, long-term professional relationships with customers, prospects and industry leaders for Seaspan Shipyards. He/she will identify, and pursue new business opportunities (ship repair/refit and new ship construction) and will follow-up with existing customers in an effort to improve service and customer value. He/She will work with the business managers at the three shipyards to foster stable and/or grow work levels at each site.
The Director, Business Development will develop/provide short and long term sales forecasts and will assist with development and execution the overall Business Development strategy. The Director, Business Development reports directly to the Vice President, Vancouver Drydock and has no direct reports.
- Identifies and evaluates growth/new business opportunities (ship repair/refit and new construction), by performing duties such as attending industry conferences, understanding emerging markets (domestic and international), meeting with current and new customers to discuss growth opportunities.
- Assist with the assessment and ongoing reporting of the company’s market position through the gathering and reporting of market intelligence. This involves identifying and gaining knowledge about customers currently served by the competition and the characteristics of those businesses, developing competitor profiles, developing knowledge around competitor’s capabilities, vulnerabilities, etc. Creates and updates qualitative and quantitative business models of customers.
- Involved in planning and organizing customer events to promote long-term relationships with customers. Expands contact base and promotes SMC through industry workshops and conference involvements. Proactively prepares marine industry articles and makes presentations at industry related events.
- Provide guidance and input on strategic direction to meet future markets.
Education and Experience
- A degree in mechanical engineering, naval architecture or post secondary education in ship construction, repair and design, and/or a Mechanical Certificate from a recognized Marine Technical Institute
- A minimum of 10 years experience in industrial sales including a demonstrated sales track record and experience in account management and business development.
- Estimating experience preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Required Competencies
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to listen and influence.
- Results oriented including a proven track record of success in identifying and obtaining new business and a history of delivering superior customer service
- Familiarity with all shipyard trades. Ability to read technical drawings
- Ability to interpret contract and tender documentation requirements
- Ability to work with limited direction and to function as a team member
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.