The Risk Specialist is responsible for management and administration of risk registers and risk processes in support of new vessel construction by Seaspan Shipyards under the Federal Fleet Renewal Program (FFRP). Key responsibilities include managing the development of risk and opportunity registers, modelling of various project risk scenarios, providing project and program risk metrics and reports. The Risk Specialist will also provide risk and opportunity information and explanations to senior management and support to risk owners across all functions involved in the FFR program. The Risk Specialist works closely with the FFRP senior team and corporate Risk management team to ensure all risk identified are then quantified and where possible, mitigation actions plans are created and executed.
The Risk Specialist reports directly to the Director, Program Planning & Controls while working closely with the corporate Director, Risk Management to ensure corporate procedures are adhered to. This role has no direct reports.
- Creates, updates and communicates program Risk & Opportunities and program Risk metrics including trend analysis on Risk retirement and mitigation. The metrics will be utilized by Seaspan Executive, Program and Project Directors and managers to determine the status of the project Risks and identify where problems may be occurring.
- Creates, updates and communicates Risk Register and mitigation plans to demonstrated consistency of information and in line with corporate risk strategy.
- Creates updates and maintains a full suite of Risk and Opportunity processes
- Creates and updates Risk and Opportunity registers including interpretations and explanations as a critical tool to determine the overall status and future expected outcome of the project .
- Creates Risk models and analysis to support strategic initiatives and evaluation of FFR projects and contracts. Support the development of Risk models required to determine the potential outcomes of various contract scenarios.
- Assists in the development of long-range Program delivery projections to include in consolidated forecast models. The forecasts will be important to project profitability but also to identify any cash flow issues.
- Support weekly and monthly Risk review process for the monitoring, trending, variance analysis ,forecasting .and action tracking
- Assists in the development of Business Intelligence reporting to enhance project operational and financial understanding/requirements.
- Assists the Manager ,Program Planning & Controls in presenting and explaining Risk and Opportunity metrics and analyses of probable outcome
- Actively promote the awareness and application of risk management across the organization, helping to establish a pro-active risk management culture throughout the program
- Mentor and support the development of Seaspan personnel for managing Risks & Opportunities in their area
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering or Project Management
- MBA is an asset, but not essential
- 8-10+ years of relevant experience as a Risk Specialist in a complex multi-project or program environment, preferably in the shipbuilding industry
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- High levels of computer literacy including Microsoft Word, Excel. PowerPoint and MS Project
- Excellent working knowledge of an advance Risk toolset (e.g. Pertmaster)
- Enhanced analytical skills (both qualitative and quantitative) including the ability to gather and synthesize data into meaningful metrics or analysis and interpret and convey results to a broad audience in simple terms
- Excellent oral and written communications, including the ability to communicate with others with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Above average problem solving skills
- Ability to work well under pressure while being adaptable and open-minded to change and improvements
- Ability to lead or work within a team environment but also independently
- Strong influencing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of contractual arrangements
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.