The Planner/Scheduler is responsible for the development of planning and scheduling of tasks in support of the National Procurement and Shipbuilding Strategy. Key responsibilities include developing the Project plan within the integrated master schedule incorporating resource loaded Material, Engineering, Production and Test & Trials plans. All plans must be developed to support the development and input or work packages into Seaspan Shipyard’s Materials Resources Planning (MRP) and Financial systems. The Planner/Scheduler reports to the Manager, Program Controls and has no direct reports.
- Utilizing Primavera Project Planning Tool to develop and maintain Contract and Level 2-3 Plans and integrated schedules for the Program Management Office (PMO) to support adherence to schedule, forecasting and to provide data/management information for decision making purposes.
- Develop detailed engineering and design schedules that align to program milestones and, meet Customer and VSY requirements and allow for the early identification of delays etc.
- Develop and maintain individual and integrated resource profiles from Primavera Project Planning Tool information.
- Ensures Interface between P6 schedules and MRP system are maintained where applicable
- Prepare and distribute weekly and monthly project status reports
- Provide planning and scheduling analysis and forecasting to senior leadership to develop management information that will provide the basis for future actions and decision making about the program.
- Support the preparation of Earned Value Management System (EVMS) reports that identify program status, cost, and schedule performance.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business. Education and experience may be considered.
- 5-7 years planning/scheduling experience in a large manufacturing environment, preferably in the shipbuilding industry.
- Certification by an accredited society in Planning, Production Control and/or Project Management is highly desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Extensive knowledge of shipbuilding operations with a detailed understanding of the relationship between procurement, design, production and test operations.
- Proficiency working with independent planning systems including Primavera P6 and Microsoft Project (nice to have)
- Experience using an ERP system in a large manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of EVMS principles and their application in monitoring, reporting and controlling work activities.
- Strong problem solving skills, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Word/Excel/Powerpoint.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Good judgment and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work with limited direction and to function as a key team member.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.